ENTERING INTO THE SAME KIND OF LOVE RELATIONSHIP
“Just as the Father has loved me I have also loved you, abide in My Love.” Jn 15:9
The standard of the love Jesus calls His followers to abide in is the same love relationship He experienced with the Father. Throughout Jesus’ dialogue with His disciples the night before His death, Jesus invites His followers to enter into the same kind of relationship He had with the Father:
• When Jesus says, “Abide in Me and I will abide in you,” Jesus is offering us the same kind of oneness He experienced with the Father. He wants to live His life in and through us. Jn 15:4,5; 14:10,11,20
• When Jesus prays, "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world,” He is sending us on the same kind of mission the Father sent Him to reach a lost world. He gives us the same heavenly resources the Father gave Him. Jn 17:18, 2, 8, 11, 22
• When Jesus says, "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love,” He is inviting us to enjoy the same kind of love relationship He had with the Father and to grow deeper in that love by loving Him and obeying His commands. Jn 15:9,10
So how did the Father love the Son on a daily basis?
• The Father loved the Son and showed Him what He was doing. Jn 5:19, 20
• The Father loved the Son and placed all things in the Sons hands. Jn 3:34, 35
What I want to suggest to you is this:
• Just as the Father loved the Son and showed Him what He was doing, so the Son loves His followers and shows them what He is doing.
• Just as the Father loved the Son and placed all things in His hands, so the Son loves His followers and places all things in their hands.
The ramifications of this truth are life changing. Abiding in Christ’s love satisfies the longings of my soul. Today, as I approach my heavenly Father in prayer, He loves me unconditionally. There is nothing I can do to earn His love. Eph 2:4-9 There is nothing I can do to lose His love. Rom 8:35,39 So I rest in the Father’s love for me. I enter into this amazing love relationship and enjoy it. Today, I belong to my Father’s family as His child. Jn 3:1 He has given me the Spirit of adoption whereby I cry out Abba Father. Rom 8:15 He tells me that He loves me and I tell Him that I love Him. Today, I know that I am of value because Jesus died for my sins on the cross. Jn 15:13 Today, I am one with Jesus, seated with Him in a place of intimacy at the right hand of the Father. Today, I have new meaning and purpose through Jesus’ calling in my life. The Father has poured out the love of Christ within my heart through the ministry of the Holy Spirit. Rom 5:5 Today, Jesus loves me and shows me what He is doing so that I may be a part of His kingdom mission. Jn 5:20 Today, Jesus is placing in my hands all the heavenly resources I need to love all those He is entrusting to me because He loves me. Jn 3:35
Just as the Father loved the Son, the Son has loved me. Abiding in Christ’s love begins with resting in God’s love, entering into it and enjoying it.(back to 'Weekly Blog' page)